Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Rousing the Arena - Last Night's Gig Crowd Interaction


An interesting example of a band not needing to interact verbally with an audience last night at the M.E.N arena in Manchester. It's a few years since I've seen AC/DC live and great though they are, they got me thinking about how bands make their impact on audiences and fans.

I can still remember the impact seeing Angus Young for the first time in NME in his school uniform and satchel on his back. I was still at school myself and was blown away that a "Rock Star" could look this way. Decades on and and I found myself before the gig last night wondering how the band would have fared over the years without that innovative image...

Back to to the show though, and probably because of recently completing a manual for musicians about how to get great crowd reactions, I was particularly interested in any verbal interaction. What there was came from Brian Johnson the lead singer. It was solely to introduce the odd song or to grunt. It must be great to be able to get away with this and go down well. I'm not knocking them. They were brilliant fun. The light show fantastic and Angus puts most guitarists to shame. And who cares what they say in between songs when you're a fan and buying the tee-shirts etc?

What about the rest of our bands though? I'm pretty sure an unknown band playing to a new crowd would never have got away with it. So, in the absence of a school uniform that fits, I better rehearse a few well chosen lines and learn how to interact with the crowd I guess...

No comments: