Friday, October 2, 2009

Gig-Getter in the Dock


I've always asked for feedback for my gigging guides so I can't complain when I receive a negative review about like the one that appeared about Gig-Getter on Amazon recently.

The lady in question does have some valid points that are worth consideration.

She talks about the book being for "complete novices" and it's true, it's not aimed at seasoned pros who have all the work they want. But then again, in anyone in that position is unlikely to need any help with how to get gigs anyhow.

There's a comment about the amount and nature of the content. A "mere 100 pages or so." and "common sense". Actually, I'm quite proud of these facts. I don't know about you but if a "How to" guide has too many pages, and sounds too complicated to succeed with, I get overawed.

Some people do like to go into massive detail with their subjects, as if they're some complicated "black art". Getting gigs is a pretty simple process that anyone can accomplish no matter what their background.

Like I say on my website: getting gigs is all gig-getter is about. Not getting record deals, finding band mates or merchandising. Just getting gigs.

The fact that i recommend the occasional cover song as gig-getting aids for original bands has been mentioned (and commented upon) before on this blog and in plenty of other places. Not just by me but by successful pro artists as something many of them do to help get their original act established. I freely admit though, there will always be original artist who take issue with this recommendation..

Finally, (phew) the reviewer points out there's no mention of myspace in Gig-Getter. Actually, there are a few of mentions, but I do take her point. I don't talk about using myspace for getting gigs. But I figure most bands have tried (or are trying) this method for gig-getting.

I think the response to this point is probably best summed up via another Amazon reviewer who says:

"I was initially surprised that this guide contained very little information about getting gigs using online techniques.

Having seen the results now first hand; Gig-Getter works and works well. I now suspect it's because the book uses a more proactive approach than relying on website or myspace hits. If you've got an online presence what you'll learn with this guide is how to supplement it. If not, it's as good a stand alone system for getting gigs as I've found. "

Anyhow, you can't please everyone all the time and I'm genuinely grateful to the lady in question for giving me the opportunity to try and explain my thinking on these aspects.

Now where did I put that Robbie Williams bass tab....

No comments: