Sunday, July 5, 2009

Booking Band Gigs in "Hard to Get" Venues


If you subscribe to the Gig-getter newsletter you might have read something yesterday about the need to call venues back after sending out band demos.

I'd checked back at my own records from when I first started trying to get band gigs I discovered something which surprised me. The venues which I'd needed to chase most, to make the greatest number of follow-up calls to get the first band booking were the ones where we ended up getting the most repeat work.

These venues where it was most difficult to get hold of the person who booked the acts became the backbone of our gigging schedule. The places we played most regularly and most often.

Since I wrote this another thought has ocurred to me. Maybe there's a reason for this....

If it took me so long and so many calls to get to a "yes" and a date from the venue, maybe these were the sort of places that other bands gave up trying to reach. So, there's less (sustained) competition to get on at these places?

Not only that. If the person who booked the bands at these "difficult to reach" venues is so often not available, away from the premises and the phone, maybe he/she has a greater need to book bands for multiple gigs when he is available to talk...

I'm not sure this can be proved one way or the other but it's probably another argument for being persistent when you're trying to get gigs

No comments: