Saturday, February 20, 2010

Can a band like yours really get gigs?

If you're just starting out you might not believe you'll ever be good enough to play live, or that no-one would want to pay you for effectively having a night out every weekend.

Well, I remember before I got invited to join my brothers band a few years ago. I was amazed that people were actually paying him and his mates to bash out a couple of sets worth of covers on a Friday or Saturday night.


Eventually, out of curiosity, I went out to watch them one night.

They were "O.K" as they (a little self-consciously) served up a mix of rock and indie material to a handful of very vaguely interested drinkers.
Their gear was bog-standard, their stage presence less than zero.

I still couldn't work out why a bar or club would want to hire this kind of "entertainment".


So now, working with other bands and solo artists I can understand musicians who "rehearse" just for pleasure and never even consider playing in public or who doubt they could ever command a fee.


The fact is though, there's very much a market up and down most countries in the world for "weekend warriors" playing songs the crowds know and love.
It doesn't matter how mediocre you feel you are when you start. It's all about gaining experience playing gigs and being committed to get better.

That includes improving your technique, tightness, choice of material, ability to get gigs, your stage show and your gear over time too.


That same band of my brother's (which includes me now) has since gone on to appear regularly at the Hard Rock Cafe for the last 6 years.

Believe me, if you'd been to watch that first 3/4 empty gig I saw them at you wouldn't have believed it possible either....


How to Get Gigs

No comments: